مقالات

كوينباوج الأول - التاريخ

كوينباوج الأول - التاريخ


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

كوينباوج الأول

(ScSlp: t. 1،113؛ 1. 216'0 "؛ b. 30'0"؛ dr. 12 '؛ s. 7 k.؛ cpl. 122؛
أ. 1 60 pdr. P.r.، 4 32-pdrs.، l 20-pdr.)

تم إطلاق أول سفينة كوينباوج ، وهي سفينة حربية لولبية بناها نيويورك نافي يارد ، في 31 مارس 1866 ، SpOIIsored bv Lt. Comdr. ديفيد ب. هارموني ، وكلف في 19 يوليو 1867 ، Comdr. إدوارد باريت في القيادة.

غادر القارب الحربي الجديد نيويورك في 31 أغسطس 1807 وسافر على طول الساحل الأطلسي لأمريكا الجنوبية لمدة ثلاث سنوات تقريبًا قبل أن يعود إلى نورفولك في 18 يوليو 1870. توقفت عن العمل هناك في التاسع والعشرين من عمرها وتم وضعها حتى تفكك في عام 1871.


نهر كوينباوج

ال نهر كوينباوج هو نهر يقع في جنوب وسط ماساتشوستس وشرق ولاية كونيتيكت ، ويمتد مستجمعات المياه إلى غرب رود آيلاند. يأتي اسم "Quinebaug" من المصطلح الأمريكي الأصلي في جنوب نيو إنجلاند ، ويتم تهجئته بأشكال مختلفة قنُبَج, Quinibauge، وما إلى ذلك ، بمعنى "البركة الطويلة" ، من قني-، "منذ فترة طويلة و -باج، "بركة ماء". [1] النهر هو أحد الأنهار التي تحمل الاسم نفسه في ممر التراث القومي لوادي نهري كوينباوغ وشيتوكيت.


كوينباوج الأول - التاريخ

تاريخ بحيرة بيج ألوم

في البداية
بواسطة لويس إي روي ، (دكتور في الطب)

في عام 1976 ، كتب الراحل لويس إي روي ، إم د. التاريخ التالي لبحيرة Big Alum Lake ردًا على طلبات السكان. كان الدكتور روي مؤلفًا للعديد من المنشورات التاريخية وكان مقيمًا في الصيف مدى الحياة.

"من الصعب أحيانًا كتابة تاريخ حيوي لجماد ، ولكن ليس كذلك مع الموضوع المطروح.

سواء نظرنا إلى الأصل الأسطوري لـ & # 147Pookhookapaug Pond & # 148 ، أو تكوينه الجيولوجي خلال العصر الجليدي منذ حوالي 10000 عام ، كل منها رومانسي ومثير للاهتمام بطريقته الخاصة.

أولا القصة العلمية.
عندما بدأ نهر جريت ويسكونسن الجليدي في الانحسار شمالًا من هذا الجزء من نيو إنجلاند حوالي 8000 قبل الميلاد ، ترك في أعقابه تغييرًا هائلاً في التضاريس وأودع العديد من الصخور الجيولوجية & # 147 & # 148 على أراضينا.

تم نقل الحجارة الضخمة التي يبدو أنها متناثرة بشكل عشوائي على مناظرنا الطبيعية من شمال كندا وألاسكا ونقاط شمالية أخرى ، وتُركت وراءها عندما ذاب الجليد. لذلك ، عندما ترى هذه الصخور التي تصطف على شواطئ Big Alum ، مثل الصخرة الكبيرة ، التي يطلق عليها عدة أجيال من الأطفال اسم & # 147Table Rock & # 148 ، ويستخدمونها كمنطقة لعب بالقرب من منزل Pratt في الشرق الشاطئ ، تذكر أنك تنظر إلى أعمال الطبيعة النازحة ، النحات العظيم. لقد تم وضعهم هناك كجزء من خطة أكبر لنستمتع بها جميعًا!

تضمنت عملية تشكيل بحيرتنا تآكلًا وتشققًا وانقسامًا لكميات كبيرة من الصخور وحركة التربة ، مع المنحدرات شديدة الانحدار لجبل دان ، ومناطق المياه العميقة ، ومجموعة متنوعة من مناطق الشاطئ من الرملية التدريجية إلى الانحدار الحاد ، وتربة علوية خصبة بشكل واضح قادرة على تغذية نباتات وحيوانات وفيرة. كل هذا يضيف إلى Big Alum الجميلة ، جوهرة حقيقية في الأعمال اليدوية للطبيعة!

الأسطورة غير العلمية لأصل Pookhookapaug Pond هي أكثر جاذبية وصفها السيد Allen Faxon في عام 1900 (بإذن من Emily B. Faxon):

الأسطوره
& # 147 على التل في الطرف الشمالي من الوادي حيث تضيق البركة ، عاشت هناك قبيلة من الهنود. كان ساشم هذه القبيلة نينبكانوف ، وله ابنة اسمها أولنا. وغني عن القول إنها كانت جميلة وبالطبع جذبت انتباه العديد من الشباب الشجعان المفعم بالحيوية لأميال حولها ، أي واحد منهم كان سيعطي كل ما لديه من wampum لنقل الجائزة المرغوبة إلى wigwam.

الشابة ، مثل العديد من الشابات الأخريات ، رفضت كل التطورات. بدا الأمر كما لو كان محكوما عليها أن تصبح خادمة عجوز. لكن المظاهر كانت خادعة حتى في ذلك الوقت: لم تقابل مصيرها. أخيرًا ، ومع ذلك ، جاء مستغل شاب شجاع من الشرق لزيارة ساشيم وإصلاح نوع من المعاهدة. كان هذا الاسم الهندي & # 146s ماكوندا. تقول القصة أنه أقام ليلة وضحاها مع الزعيم القديم. كانت هناك أولنة. كانت حالة حب من النظرة الأولى. لم يكن قلبها قلبها بعد ذلك.

عندما حان وقت رحيل ماكوندا ، عندما انتهت الأعياد والرقصات والألعاب ، وكان السفير الأميري لأمة قوية ، مع حاشيته من الشجعان على وشك أن يودعهم ، ثم وقف صائد فروة الرأس العظيم ماكوندا إلى الأمام و قال & # 145 الأب العظيم ورئيس أمة المحاربين! ماكوندا على وشك المغادرة إلى أرض آبائه ، ليقول لهم إنه وجد موغانسيت بألسنة مستقيمة وقلوب كبيرة وأيادي مفتوحة: لقد أكل معهم وشرب معهم ودخن معهم هراء السلام. ماكوندا جاهز لرحلته الطويلة إلى الوطن مع العديد من الشموس. ولكن قبل أن يمر طريقه مرة أخرى عبر الغابة ، فإنه يتوق إلى نعمة. أثناء وجوده في منزل الرئيس العظيم ، نظرت عينه إلى الشكل الجميل لأولناه ، الذي يشبه صوته موسيقى المياه الجارية. أصبح سمعه رقيقًا كامرأة & # 146t تجاه الخادمة ذات العيون الساطعة ، وكان سيحملها إلى نزله البعيد ، ليصبح زوجة لمن سيفخر يومًا ما ويسعده أن يضع عند قدميها شرف الزعيم الشجاع & # 146

لا يبدو أن هذا الخطاب يلقى استحسانًا ، انطلاقًا من عبوس المحاربين الآخرين الذين كانوا أيضًا خاطبين لليد الأولى العادلة. قرأ الرئيس هذا العبوس وأجاب بأن النعمة كانت أعظم مما يستطيع أن يمنحه. فوجئت ماكوندا بهذه الإجابة ، وتمتم بشيء عن كونه لا يستحق مثل هذا المصير اللامع. كان يبتعد حزينًا عندما قالت أولناه نفسها ، التي سمعت الحديث ، وهي فخمة وشبيهة بالملكة ، واقفة بين والدها وعشيقها ، "إن آذان أولنا مفتوحتان: لقد سمعت ماكوندا الشجاعة تتوق إلى نعمة. رفض زعيم Mogansets العظيم منحه. دع صوت Oolnah & # 146s ينضم إلى Macondah & # 146s لأنها ستذهب معه الذي سيأخذ قلبها. ماكوندا تذهب وحدها! لن تسمع أولنا موسيقى الطيور ، النسيم والجداول الجارية ، لأنه لا توجد موسيقى لها بلا قلب ، ولن ترى جمال السماء والأرض أبدًا ، لأنه لا يوجد جمال لها ، قلبها بعيدًا. كل موسيقى ، كل جمال ، كل فرح في القلب وماكوندة قلب أولنة. & # 146

عندئذ ، اتصل الرئيس بمجلس وطلب من ماكوندا الانتظار بدونه. حسّن الأمير الشاب من فرصة التحدث مع حبيبته ووضع خطط للمستقبل. خشي العشاق من قرار سلبي. وبناءً على ذلك ، فقد عقدوا العزم على عدم البقاء منفصلين. إذا غادرت ماكوندا بدون أولناها ، كان عليه أن يعود في منتصف الليل ، إلى النبع العظيم بجوار البلوط ، في الوادي ، حيث كان من المقرر أن تقابله وسوف ينضمون إلى ثرواتهم إلى الأبد.

قرر القضاة أن الأحباء يجب أن يفترقوا ، وألا يجتمعوا مرة أخرى على عقوبة الإعدام. قيلت الوداع وغادر المحاربون. لكن عندما كانوا خارج القرية أطلق ماكوندا سهمًا ملطخًا بالدماء في المخيم كعلامة على انتهاك المعاهدة.

في تلك الليلة نهض ماكوندا وسرق مرة أخرى إلى مكان التجربة لمقابلة حبيبته. كانت بقعة جميلة عند سفح شجرة بلوط ضخمة. سرقت أولنا بصمت من نزلها ولكن تبعها خفية منافس غيور كرّس هدفها.

التقى العشاق بحلول الربيع ، واندفعوا إلى أحضان بعضهم البعض. ركض المنافس خلف ماكوندا وطعنه في ظهره. مات ماكوندا. أطلق أولنا صرخة كهذه مما أدى إلى إثارة القرية بأكملها واندفاعها إلى مكان الحادث. وجدوا الفتاة المسكينة واقفة فوق جثة عشيقها ممسكة بالسكين الملطخة بالدماء. في بضع كلمات جليلة ، أزالت والدها عن قسوته في سعيه للفصل بينهما. ثم صرخت لماكوندا ، وأغرقت السكين في قلبها وسقطت مرة أخرى في الربيع بجانب حبيبها.

وبينما كان الجميع واقفين مذعورين ، سمع قرقرة تحتها ، وارتفعت الأرض واهتزت ، ثم انفتحت وغرقت ، آخذة معها كل شيء. وتدحرجت المياه المشرقة في المشهد المخيف لتزيل وصمة الجريمة والدم ".

& # 147 هذا هو أصل بحيرة بوكهوكاباوغ. لم أقم مطلقًا بسحب أي توماهوكس أو أقواس وسهام عند الصيد لتأكيد حقيقة هذه الأسطورة. & # 148 & # 147A. H. Faxon & # 148

للعودة إلى الواقع والتاريخ المسجل ، فإن المعلومات الأولى التي تبدو ذات صلة هي أسماء الزعيم الهندي المحلي والمستوطنين البيض الأوائل في المنطقة المجاورة مباشرة للبركة.

في عام 1644 ، منحت المحكمة العامة لمستعمرة خليج ماساتشوستس جون وينثروب الابن الحق في استخراج الفضة من خام الجرافيت في Tantiusques. سميت المنطقة بهذا الاسم لأنها تنتمي إلى ساشم تانتاكويسون أو تانتاكويدجيون (ربما تكون الهجاء الأخير أكثر دقة).

يقع هذا المنجم في منطقة قريبة مما يُعرف حاليًا باسم Leadmine Pond. في النهاية ، اشترى السيد وينثروب أيضًا ما يقرب من 4 أميال مربعة من الأرض حول المنجم. تم نقل الخام برا في براميل إلى سبرينغفيلد ، وسافر إلى بوسطن بالقارب ثم تم شحنه إلى الخارج إلى إنجلترا للمعالجة. أسفر فحص الخام عن 12 إلى 15 رطلاً من الفضة للطن وسرعان ما تم التخلي عن المشروع. ومع ذلك ، أثناء تشغيل المنجم ، يوجد سجل لأول رجل أبيض أقام في ستوربريدج. كان ويليام ديينز ، المشرف على المنجم. فاتورة بتاريخ 9 نوفمبر 1658 لا تزال موجودة للإمدادات التي تلقاها في ذلك اليوم من تاجر سبرينغفيلد ، جون بينشون.

في 27 سبتمبر 1655 ، مُنح القس جون إليوت ، رسول الهنود ، قطعة أرض مساحتها 1000 فدان ، بالقرب من الشاطئ الغربي لبركة بوكوكاباوغ. القس إليوت مشهور ليس فقط بردوده ولكن أيضًا بترجمته الكتاب المقدس إلى لغة ألجونكوين. كان الهنود المحليون ، الذين ربما يكونون أقل من ساشيم ، الذين أعطوا الأرض لإليوت ، هم Wattalloowekin (المعنى التقريبي: & # 148 انعطاف المياه بالقرب من التل & # 148) و Nahan (المعنى التقريبي & # 147island ".).

تم مسح الأرض بواسطة جون تشاندلر وأكدت المحكمة العامة المنحة لورثة جون إليوت في عام 1715. تسمى البركة Pookookappog على خريطة المسح الرسمية لعام 1715. ربما كان من المفترض أن يكون الإملاء الصحيح هو Poohookapaug ، مما يعني & # 147 بركة حيث كنا ندخن التبغ ".

يوفر مسح هندسي تم إجراؤه في عام 1828 معلومات مثيرة للاهتمام للتخمين حول الديناميكا المائية أو & # 147 الدورة الدموية & # 148 من دم الحياة لموضوعنا. تُظهر الخريطة المصاحبة لتقرير الاستطلاع المقدم إلى مجلس شيوخ ماساتشوستس البركة التي تحمل العلامة & # 147Allum Pond & # 148. في اللغة الهندية المحلية ، هذا يعني & # 147a كلب & # 148 ، ولكن بحلول عام 1828 ، توقف الهنود لفترة طويلة عن كونهم مهمين في السكان المحليين. (انظر الملحق د ، الشكل أ -2). تم إجراء المسح فيما يتعلق بقناة مقترحة للتشغيل من بوسطن إلى نهر كونيتيكت عن طريق قناة بلاكستون ونهر كوينباوغ ، ثم في ستوربريدج إلى ساوث بوند وبودنك بوند ونهر كوابوج. كان يجب أن تكون هناك سلسلة من الأقفال لرفع القوارب 22 دقيقة بين نهر كوينباوج وساوث بوند. لم تتحقق القناة أبدًا بسبب إجراء مسح متزامن لخط سكة حديد أثبت أنه أكثر واقعية وأسفر عن خطوط السكك الحديدية في بوسطن ووستر وويسترن.

تُظهر الخريطة بركة Allum مع جدول يتدفق جنوبًا إلى نهر Quinebaug وآخر يتدفق شمالًا إلى نهر Quabaug عن طريق عدة برك صغيرة في Brookfield. تشير الارتفاعات النسبية إلى أن تدفق المياه ربما كان في كلا الاتجاهين بعيدًا عن بحيرة ألوم ، مع الانحدار السريع نحو الجنوب. الجدول المتجه شمالًا هو نفسه الذي يُطلق عليه الآن & # 147Trout Brook & # 148on الخرائط الجيوديسية الحديثة ويبدأ في مستنقع خلف شبه الجزيرة على الشاطئ الشرقي.

تتمتع Big Alum بكونها بحيرة تغذيها الينابيع فرصة فريدة لتنظيم جودة مياهها إذا كان سكانها فقط سيلاحظون النظام الذي أنشأته الطبيعة للتصريف بعيدًا عن البحيرة وليس داخلها !. ربما ترتيب غير عادي ، لكنه يستحق ذكرى أولنا وماكوندة!

بيرز أطلس عام 1870 يطلق على البحيرة & # 145Alum Pond & # 146. يُظهر Arnold & # 146s Cove على الشاطئ الشرقي وخليج Fay & # 146s على الشمال وخليج Bemis في الجنوب. يظهر جبل دان على الخريطة. هناك منشرة معروضة على جدول المخرج إلى الجنوب الغربي ، ولكن لم يتم عرض جدول آخر. لا توجد مبانٍ على البحيرة.

تم الحفاظ على الدليل الأول لاستخدام Alum Pond للاستجمام بشكل دائم بطريقة شيقة للغاية. على العشب الأمامي للممتلكات المملوكة حاليًا للدكتور والسيدة لويس إي روي في & # 147 ، تقع النقطة & # 148 & # 147 صخرة جغرافية & # 148 مزروعة في التربة بالقرب من الركن الشمالي الغربي من المخيم. على السطح المستوي ، المواجه للجنوب ، بأحرف محفورة بعمق في الحجر ، يوجد النقش التالي: & # 147CAMP KABIBINOKA 1874 ". في تذكر المؤلف & # 146s ، كان هذا النقش موجودًا منذ 50 عامًا على الأقل ، ويبدو قديمًا حتى عندما يتذكر رؤيته لأول مرة عندما كان طفلاً. من العدل أن نفترض أن هذا ربما كان أول موقع معسكر في Big Alum. ومع ذلك ، لا يوجد دليل على بناء مبنى دائم على هذا الموقع والفقرات القليلة التالية المتعلقة في رحلة التخييم الأولى ، لم يتم ذكر موقع المخيم السابق.

أول رحلة استكشافية مسجلة في Alum Pond هي كما يلي بكلمات A. H. كان اليوم حارًا ومغبرًا ، وبعد مسيرة ثلاثة عشر ميلًا ، كنا سعداء بالجلوس وتناول العشاء. أول شيء فعلته هو خلع الملابس والغطس في الماء البارد الصافي. شعرنا بخيبة أمل كبيرة في حجم الشبة ، وكان لديها جزيرة واحدة فقط. ومع ذلك ، قررنا المخيم هناك ، واخترنا الجانب الشرقي كأفضل مكان لنصب خيامنا. & # 146

الخمسة المذكورة أعلاه هم آلان إتش. فاكسون ، وتشارلز إي دونتون ، ولويس دبليو دونتون ، وميليريس دبليو بروتي ، وليروي أميس ، وجميعهم من الشباب في ذلك الوقت. تم التقاط صور لهذه المناسبة.

كان أول معسكر دائم تم بناؤه في Big Alum هو Log Cabin & # 147Camp Dan & # 148 الذي بدأ في عام 1890 من قبل الأشخاص الخمسة المحددين في رحلة التخييم الأصلية ، مع إضافة Henry B. Montague و Lynus Bacon. أصبح السيد Faxon والسيد Montague فيما بعد بارزين في الحياة المجتمعية في Southbridge. كان السيد أميس أستاذا في جامعة كلارك. كان الأخوان دونتون ، السيد بروتي والسيد بيكون من رجال الأعمال في سبنسر وبوسطن. تم بناء الكوخ من جذوع الأشجار المصنوعة من أشجار الصنوبر التي قطعها السيد آدامز من الشاطئ الغربي للبحيرة. تم نقلهم بواسطة مزلقة إلى منشرة تعمل بالطاقة المائية على بعد مسافة قصيرة على طريق بروكفيلد على الجانب الآخر من جبل دان. كان البناء من جذوع الأشجار والألواح المربعة ، ويتكون من غرفتين - واحدة في الطابق العلوي والأخرى في الأسفل. صورة تظهره في أيامه الأولى & # 148

أطلس ريتشاردز الطبوغرافي لستوربريدج لعام 1898 يدعو بحيرتنا & # 145Pookookapog أو Alum Pond. كما يُظهر تسعة أكواخ ، تم تحديد ثلاثة منها. الوحيد على الشاطئ الشرقي هو المملوك حاليًا للمؤلف ، والمدرج على أنه مملوك لـ & # 145N. سانت جون & # 146. هناك واحد على الشاطئ الجنوبي ، لم يتم التعرف عليه. ثم تم تحديد موقع واحد إلى الغرب من قطعة أرض الولاية الحالية باسم & # 145S. F. Bemis & # 146. تتحرك في اتجاه عقارب الساعة أعلى الشاطئ الغربي 6 آخرين ، والاثنان التاليان بالترتيب غير معروفين ، ثم & # 145G. H. Hartwell & # 146 ثم ثلاثة آخرين مجهولي الهوية. (يجب أن يكون الأخير هو الكابينة الخشبية ، كامب دان.)

بحلول عام 1900 ، كان هناك ما لا يقل عن 16 كوخًا على البحيرة. بحلول عام 1916 ، كان عددهم 35 ، وفي آخر إحصاء في عام 1976 ، كان هناك 149 ، ثلثهم تقريبًا مساكن على مدار العام. دعونا نأمل أن نكون قد وصلنا إلى مستوى ثابت من حيث الكمية ، ولنعمل الآن على بذل جهود تهدف إلى الحفاظ على جودة ما لدينا.

إذا كان هذا الملخص لتاريخ إرثنا الثري قد فعل أي شيء للمساعدة في جعلنا أكثر تقديرًا لما ورثته الطبيعة ، فإن الجهد المبذول كان يستحق العناء. & # 148


كوينباوج الأول - التاريخ

قبل ظهور أول مصانع الصوف والقطن في أواخر عام 1780 وأوائل القرن التاسع عشر وأوائل القرن التاسع عشر ، كانت المدينة في الأساس بلدة زراعية مقسمة إلى 4 مجتمعات ، الأبرشية الجنوبية ، الأبرشية الشمالية ، الأبرشية الشرقية والأبرشية الغربية. كانت هناك مطاحن طحن ، مطاحن ، طواحين ملء ، ساحات تان ، معمل تقطير وعدد قليل من المتاجر العامة لتلبية الاحتياجات في كل أبرشية. أيضًا صانعو الأثاث وصانعو الأحذية والحانات وما إلى ذلك ، ولكن جميع الشركات الصغيرة وعادة ما تكون في منازلهم. جاءت الطواحين لأن لدينا إمكانات كبيرة من الطاقة المائية: نهر كوينباوغ ونهر فايف مايل وجدول ويتستون التي دعمت العديد من الطواحين بسبب الانخفاض الهائل في الارتفاع على الرغم من أنها كانت مجرد جدول صغير. قام أصحاب المطحنة ببناء منازل لعمالهم ومخزنًا للشركة. كان لدى العديد من المطاحن مزرعة ولديها أيضًا حقول يمكن للعمال أن يمتلكوا فيها حدائقهم الخاصة. كان لدى متجر الشركة قسم للبقالة ، وكانت شركة المطاحن قد وفرت البضائع ، وقام العديد من أمناء المتاجر ، الذين خلفوا بعضهم البعض هناك ، ببيع البضائع بعمولة صغيرة على الأرباح. كل هؤلاء أصحاب المخازن وظفوا كاتبًا كان يأخذ الطلبات بين مساكن المصنع ويدير عربة التوصيل.

كانت هذه مسقط رأس تشارلز تيفاني الذي كان لاحقًا مؤسسًا مشاركًا لشركة Tiffany & amp Co. في نيويورك ، مجوهرات. كان والده كومفورت تيفاني الذي بنى طاحونة على الجانب الغربي من نهر كوينباوغ حوالي عام 1820. عمل تشارلز في متجر شركة والده عندما كان صغيرًا.

كان عمل المطحنة لساعات طويلة (69 ساعة عمل أسبوعياً في عام 1850) مقابل أجر زهيد. كانت أجور صناعة القطن في عام 1831 كما يلي:

1.50 أسبوعيًا للأطفال دون سن العاشرة والتي كانت تشكل النسبة الأكبر من الموظفين.

تم إطلاق سراح الموظفين يوم السبت. في الساعة 3:30 خلال فصل الصيف حتى يتمكنوا من العودة إلى المنزل والعمل في قطع أراضي الحديقة التي تم تخصيصها من قبل المصنع.

بالطبع ، لا يذهب الأطفال إلى المدرسة إذا عملوا في المطاحن. ولكن تم تصحيح هذا عندما تم تمرير قوانين المدرسة ، التي تنص على تعليم الأطفال العاملين في الصناعة. وظفت الصناعات النسيجية عددًا أكبر من الإناث والأطفال مقارنة بالمؤسسات الصناعية الأخرى ، وكان العمل نظيفًا وخفيفًا.

في وقت مبكر كان جميع عمال المطاحن من السكان المحليين. كانت النساء يقمن بالنسيج في منازلهن ، وبالنسبة للمطاحن ، كان الأولاد والبنات يعملون في مصانع الغزل والتمشيط.

تميزت الفترة التي تعود إلى إنشاء أول مطحنة قطن هنا في عام 1809/10 إلى حوالي عام 1840 بوجود طواحين خشبية متوسطة الحجم ، ومنازل سكنية متراصة ، وآلات طاحونة غير مهذبة إلى حد ما ، مبنية جزئيًا من الخشب. كان النقل بالخيول والثيران والسفر كان بشكل رئيسي بواسطة مدرب المرحلة. ركض مدربو المرحلة بين هارتفورد وأمب بروفيدنس ونورويتش ووستر.

مع مجيء خط السكة الحديد في عام 1840 نشأت القرى حول المستودعات في دانيلسونفيل ودايفيل. حيث تم بناء الطواحين أيضا نمت القرى. تم بناء الفنادق والمخازن والحدادين والمسابك ومحلات الأحذية والمخابز وتجارة اللحوم ومصنع الفأس وتصنيع حجر الشحذ كلها بدأت في المدينة. كانت هناك حاجة ماسة إلى النجارين والبنائين ، ووصل أطباء الأسنان والمحامون والخياطات والخياطات والأطباء. لم يكن كل المهاجرين عمال مطاحن. افتتح بعضهم أعمالًا تجارية خاصة بهم ، واستأجرت العديد من الشركات الأخرى كتبة يتحدثون الفرنسية لمساعدة الناس. وصل الأطباء الناطقون بالفرنسية إلى المدينة. الدكتور أرشامبو والدكتور لوران جيجير وغيرهم الكثير. في عام 1848 تم نشر العدد الأول من تلغراف مقاطعة ويندهام.

كان هناك العديد من متاجر Millinery ، وفتحت Valeria Goyette التي أتت من كندا نشاطها الخاص في صناعة القبعات في عام 1886 في دانيلسون. تزوجت من جوزيف سير وواصلت عملها بصفتها مدام سير ، وأصبحت ناجحة للغاية لدرجة أنها تمكنت من تشييد المبنى الخاص بها ، مبنى Cyr ، في عام 1893 ، والذي لا يزال قائماً في دانيلسون حتى اليوم.

نفذت عائلة ألكسندر أعمال الطوب واسعة النطاق في Dayville و Quinebaug brickyard في E. Brooklyn. تم استخدام هذا الطوب لبناء العديد والعديد من المباني ، ليس فقط هنا ، ولكن في أماكن أخرى. مايو 1871 - قام مصنع الطوب الخاص بالسيد لوثر ألكسندر بإنتاج 60.000 طوبة يوميًا في مصنعه ، وبالكاد يكون قادرًا على تلبية الطلب بهذا المعدل.

كانت المحاجر تعمل في عام 1820 ، لكن الطريقة الوحيدة لإيصال منتجاتها إلى السوق كانت بعربات تجرها الثيران أو الخيول. بمجرد وصول خط السكة الحديد من خلاله أصبح نقل البضائع أسهل بكثير. نتيجة لنمو الطاحونة والسكك الحديدية ، أصبحت الأبرشيات (أو القرى) الأربعة في Killingly 7 قرى ثم أقسام صغيرة داخل القرى ، كان لها هويتها الخاصة.

في حوالي عام 1845 ، تم وضع خط تلغراف على طول الجانب الغربي من خط السكة الحديد. كان الاختراع آنذاك فضولًا مثيرًا للاهتمام ، لأنه في هذا التاريخ لم تتبع الأشياء الجديدة والرائعة على ما يبدو بعضها البعض في مثل هذا التعاقب السريع الذي أدى إلى إضعاف الشعور بالفضول ، الموجود دائمًا والذي غالبًا ما يكون قويًا مع هذا الجيل. كان الخط الوحيد كافياً حتى وقت الحرب الأهلية ثم تم افتتاح مكتب في عام 1860.

حمى الذهب - في عام 1849 كان لدينا مجموعة من الرجال من منطقتنا وعدد قليل من مقاطعة نيو لندن الذين شكلوا شركة Quinebaug Gold وقاموا بشراء مركب شراعي ، ألفريد ، من نيو لندن وأبحروا حول القرن إلى كاليفورنيا. تتم طباعة جميع الحروف في ورقتنا وقمت بنسخها جميعًا ووضعها في كتاب. كان جورج دبليو سبولدينغ ، الذي كان عضوًا في المجموعة ، قد أقام محاضرات عندما عاد إلى المنزل ، وهذه الرسائل موجودة أيضًا في ورقتنا التي أخبرها أيضًا عن الرجال الذين ماتوا.

في أوائل 1850 & # 39 s ، جعل تدفق الذهب من كاليفورنيا إلى الشرق مرات أكثر مما هو معتاد.

ثم في سبتمبر 1860 يوجد هذا في الصحيفة: إزعاج الدولارات الذهبية ، التي يمر بها كل شخص في الليل ، أو عندما يكونون يشربون ، لمدة نصف الدايمات ، على وشك أن يتم تخفيفها بأمر من السكرتير. من الخزانة. يتم الآن صهر ثلاثة ملايين منهم وإعادة صياغتهم في نسور مزدوجة ، والتي ستكون ، مع ذلك ، غير مريحة بشكل مضاعف ، من صعوبة الحصول عليها ، ومن وزنها وحماقتها عند الحصول عليها.

في مايو 1894 وجدت هذا - تم اكتشاف منجم ذهب دانيلسونفيل يوم السبت على الجانب الغربي ، في قبو منزل من قبل طفل كان يلعب هناك ووجد كمية كبيرة من العملات الذهبية مدفونة في التراب. كانت العملات المعدنية تعود إلى ما قبل التمرد ، عندما تم دفع مساعدة المصنع بالذهب. ربما كانت مخبأة لحفظها في مكان آمن. (لم يكن لدي أي فكرة عن أنهم حصلوا على ذهب!)

كان عمال المطاحن يعيشون في مساكن ومنازل داخلية توفرها المطاحن. تم تلبية جميع احتياجاتهم تقريبًا من خلال متجر الشركة والكنيسة. ومع ذلك ، كان هناك الكثير من النشاط الاجتماعي خارج تلك القرى الصغيرة لدرجة أنه لا بد أنهم انضموا إلى بعضها.

في عام 1849 ، أقيم أول معرض زراعي لمقاطعة ويندهام في بروكلين والذي جذب حشدًا كبيرًا من الناس ويستمر حتى يومنا هذا.

والعديد من البحيرات والبرك ، حتى قوس ثور على طول Quinebaug كانت المفضلة للنزهات. بالإضافة إلى بساتين مختلفة حول المدينة: Madden & # 39s Grove in Dayville و Hubbard & # 39s Grove in Danielson وغيرها.

عقدت المجموعات الكنسية والمنظمات الأخرى أنشطة اجتماعية. ذهب الناس للاستماع إلى المتحدثين المثيرين للاهتمام ، وتم الترحيب بموسيقي الشوارع وكذلك الربيع الترحيبي. وقد استمتعوا بالتزحلق على الجليد والتزحلق على الجليد في الشتاء.

تم الاحتفال بيوم الاستقلال في Killingly في عام 1850 في Dayville ، مع نزهة على الجانب الغربي من Alexander’s Pond ، بينما في دانيلسونفيل ، في الطرف الشمالي من Quinebaug Pond ، كان هناك مشوي Quahaug كبير وحساء الشودر.

1851 - تم تبني زي البومر من قبل سيدة أو سيدتين في هذه المدينة ، ظهرت كاميلا في North Killingly الأسبوع الماضي.

كانت فترة الحرب الأهلية فترة حزن وخسارة - دارت معظم الأنشطة والاجتماعية حول الحرب: جمع الأموال وصنع الأشياء للجنود.

25 أبريل 1861 - أبوية السيدات

في أول دعوة للمساعدة من سيدات هذه القرية لإعداد الزي الرسمي لحراس الاتحاد ، في مقاطعة ويندهام ، استجابوا على الفور ، وشاركت المئات من الأيدي النزيهة والأصابع الذكية في تأثيث الزي المريح والوسيم لتلك الشركة. نقدر طاقة ونشاط السيدات خلال الأسبوع الماضي ، عندما نعلن أنهن صنعن 350 قميصًا و 80 زوجًا من البنطلونات و 80 معطفًا في أقل من ستة أيام!

في وقت مبكر من يونيو 1861 ، كانت المطاحن الصغيرة التابعة لشركة دانيلسونفيل ، والتي تنتمي إلى السيد ويتمور، قد توقفت عن العمل. كانت المطاحن الأخرى تشغل وقتًا قصيرًا لتجهيز القطن في متناول اليد ، عندما ستتوقف تمامًا مع جميع مصانع القطن الأخرى في الشمال ، ما لم يتم تعديل الصعوبات الحالية التي نواجهها في وقت أقرب. العديد من النشطاء لديهم منازل للعودة إليها ، وبسبب مكانتنا كمقاطعة زراعية وكذلك كمقاطعة صناعية ، ستكون هناك معاناة أقل مما هي عليه في العديد من المناطق الأخرى في نيو إنجلاند ، على الرغم من أنه من المحتمل أن تكون هناك حالات عوز حتى هنا تتطلب انتباه الإنسان.

علينا أن نتذكر أنه في تلك الأيام لم يكن هناك تعويض بطالة لمن هم خارج العمل وكان عليهم الانتقال إلى أماكن أخرى من أجل إعالة أنفسهم وعائلاتهم.

في أوائل عام 1862 ، تم تجنيد ورحيل الرجال الذين كانوا جزءًا من الفوج الثامن عشر ، كونيتيكت. بدأت ومعظمهم من المحلات التجارية والمصانع في Killingly & amp Brooklyn.

حتى في أوقات الحرب وجد الناس وسائل ترفيه جديدة. Sulky Racing - في أغسطس 1861 - أعد مواطنو Dayville مسارًا جديدًا للخيول على بعد نصف ميل من قريتهم ، ويجذب هواة الهرولة أعدادًا يوميًا تقريبًا على الأرض. تم بناء مسار آخر بطول ميل في أبريل 1870 بواسطة Leander Sayles.

في عام 1862 ، اختفى التغيير الفضي الذي كان متداولًا عن الرأي العام. قال الناس إن البنوك قد حصلت عليها. لقد احتفظوا به بشدة لدرجة أنه لم يُشاهد مرة أخرى لمدة أربعة عشر عامًا.

بعد انتهاء الحرب الأهلية ، كان هناك بعض التقدم المادي الإضافي ، وبناء المزيد من المطاحن ، واستبدال المطاحن الخشبية القديمة بمصانع الطوب والحجر. بدأت الطبقات العاملة في ملء منازلهم بالأثاث والصور والآلات الموسيقية وفي بعض الحالات امتلكوا حصانًا وعربة.

تعليم: كانت منازل المدرسة ذات الغرفة الواحدة موجودة في كل منطقة حول المدينة ، وعندما جاءت الطواحين المبكرة ، قامت المدينة ببناء مدرسة حي المصنع بالقرب من قرية الطاحونة. هذه كانت تدار من قبل المدينة. مع تقدم الأمور ، كانت هناك مدارس مختارة (مدارس خاصة) بدأها أفراد مكلفوا بالالتحاق بها. وكان هناك عدد كبير منهم محتجزون في أماكن مختلفة. بدأ معهد West Killingly في عام 1837 بواسطة Stowell Weld. تم بناء أكاديمية West Killingly في عام 1847. في عام 1867 ، تم افتتاح مدرسة دانيلسونفيل الثانوية في مبنى البنك الوطني القديم ، مدير مدرسة E. كانون الثاني (يناير) 1868 - تم افتتاح مدرسة مسائية أخرى في غرفة الفرقة من قبل بعض مواطنينا المسيحيين المفكرين لصالح الأطفال في دانيلسونفيل الذين لا يذهبون إلى المدرسة النهارية. يحضر ستون أو سبعون طفلاً ، معظمهم من الأجانب ، كل جلسة ، ويبدو أن نسبة كبيرة تقدر فائدة التعليم. في عام 1872 - سيفتتح السيد تيترو ، وهو رجل مثقف ، مدرسة مسائية في القاعة فوق سوق اللحوم في جونسون الأسبوع المقبل. في مارس 1883 ، سيتم إغلاق المدارس المسائية التي أقيمت خلال فصلي الخريف والشتاء هذا الأسبوع. استفاد عدد كبير من هذه الفرصة التي قدمتها لهم شركات Quinebaug و Danielsonville Mfg بسخاء. كانت ماري ديكستر هي من حملت هذه المدارس وكان لها دور أساسي في افتتاحها. تم بناء منزل المدرسة الجديد ، الذي أطلق عليه اسم مدرسة Graded School لأنه كان يحتوي على فصول دراسية فردية ، في عام 1871 في شارع المدرسة ، دانيلسونفيل. بدأت مدرسة روضة الأطفال الخاصة في عام 1890. أكتوبر 1890 ، يقيم ويليس شيبي جونيور مدرسة للكتابة.

تم بناء مدرسة سانت جيمس وافتتحت عام 1889 وستستوعب حوالي 350 تلميذاً. ستكون اللغة الإنجليزية هي اللغة البارزة في المدرسة. سيتم قبول الأطفال البروتستانت مجانًا في الفروع المشتركة وكذلك الأطفال الكاثوليك والفروع العليا واللغات بدفع الرسوم اللازمة.

دين - كانت الكنائس الرئيسية قبل عام 1840 هي الكنيسة المجمعية والكنيسة المعمدانية المبكرة في إي. مع وصول المهاجرين للعمل في المطاحن ، أخذت طوائف مختلفة مكانها في المدينة. أولاً كان هناك الأيرلنديون الذين جاءوا أثناء المجاعة في أيرلندا ثم الكنديين الفرنسيين والبولنديين والإيطاليين وغيرهم. أقيمت كنيسة Westfield Congregational Church في Westfield حوالي عام 1799 ، وبمجرد وصول خط السكة الحديد ونمت القرية حول المستودع ، أقاموا كنيسة جديدة في عام 1855 في زاوية شارع Main and Academy في دانيلسونفيل. شيدت الكنيسة الميثودية مبنى في عام 1842 ، وقامت بتحسينه في عام 1867 حتى اختفى المبنى القديم تمامًا مع كل التحسينات ، ووصل الأدفنتست في أواخر عام 1850 ، وسمع الشعب الكاثوليكي القداس الذي أقامه القس مايكل مكابي ، راهب فرنسيسكاني من أيرلندا ، وقد أقيمت الخدمة الأولى في منزل خاص. التقيا في قاعات مختلفة حتى عام 1864 عندما اشترى القس جيمس كوين كنيسة المجيء الثاني القديمة في شارع وينتر وأصبحت أول كنيسة سانت جيمس. تقول الصحيفة: في عام 1867 قام كاثوليك دانيلسونفيل بإزالة الكنيسة الصغيرة الخاصة بهم ، في شارع وينتر ، من الخلف بنحو ستين قدمًا ، وسيضيفون جبهة جديدة ، من أجل استيعاب جماعتهم الكبيرة. في نوفمبر 1867 ، سيحتفل كاثوليك دانيلسونفيل بعيد الشكر ، من خلال وضع حجر الأساس لكنيستهم الجديدة. الدخول مجاني ، ولكن كما هو معتاد في مثل هذه المناسبات ، من المتوقع أن يقدم كل شخص عرضًا تطوعيًا. سيقوم الأسقف بإدارة سر التثبيت وتكريس أرض الدفن الكاثوليكية في نفس اليوم. يتم تقديم شكر القس والمصلين إلى السادة سايلز وغيرهم من دايفيل ، الذين أرسلوا مساهمة ليبرالية للغاية. في مارس 1868 - تم بناء الكنيسة الكاثوليكية الجديدة في دانيلسونفيل على شكل صليب. 90 × 34 ، لا تشمل الأجنحة. اكتمل الخارج تقريبًا. المبنى عبارة عن هيكل أنيق ، لكننا نتمنى لو شعر أصدقاؤنا الكاثوليك أنهم قادرون على إضافة المزيد من الزركشة لجعله أكثر جاذبية. في أكتوبر من عام 1869: اتخذ كاثوليكي دانيلسونفيل بالفعل إجراءات نحو إقامة كنيسة رائعة هنا ، واحدة ستتفوق على جميع الكنائس الأخرى في Eastern Conn. ، الصرح الحالي ، على الرغم من اكتماله للتو ، لا يرضي العديد من الكاثوليك هنا. يشترك بعض مواطنينا البروتستانت ، الذين يرغبون في رؤية هذه التحسينات ، في بناء منزل الكاهن ، وسوف يقدمون المزيد من الحرية للكنيسة الجديدة عندما يتم التوصل إلى قرار كامل بالاستمرار في المشروع. في عام 1889 ، وفقًا لبايلز ، كان هناك 1300 كندي فرنسي و 500 إيرلندي في أبرشية كنيسة سانت جيمس. ترتبط الكنيسة بعدة مجتمعات. يبلغ تعداد جمعية القديس يوحنا المعمدانية حوالي 100 عضو ، وتضم جمعية فرسان كولومبوس 53 عضوًا. تضم جمعية الويسوس 40 عضوًا وجمعية الطفل يسوع تضم حوالي 150 طفلاً.

A mission church at Chestnut hill (E. Killingly), where there were 150 French and a few Irish was supplied by priests from St. James and was held in a hall there.

In the Brooklyn & Hampton missions there are about 250 Irish.

People of the Episcopal faith, came along in the 1860's taking over the West Killingly Academy building which had been closed.

In Apr. 1868 - the Congregational society of Dayville are enlarging their church.

Before the erection of St. Joseph's church in Dayville in 1889, the catholic people from Dayville & Elmville were conveyed by Kennedy's large moving wagon to St. James Church in Danielsonville.

In looking at the census in Killingly over the years I find that the population increased by small amounts until 1830 when it increased by 454 persons from 1820 and in 1850 it increased by 850 persons. After the Civil War things started to boom again and in 1870 the census increased by 786 people. 1880 saw a huge increase of 1,209 people and in 1900 the largest for the century of 1,808 people. Mills and businesses were booming.

About 1889 there were 1,866 Americans in the Borough of Danielson and 1,346 French Canadians.

9 Mar. 1865 - MADAME M. PARKER – THE NARAGANSET INDIAN DOCTRESS of Providence, R.I., has opened an Office at her residence on Christian Hill, Danielsonville, where she can be consulted upon all diseases that afflicts the human family.

July 1870 In the summer it was not only HOT but the dust was almost unbearable. Some people wanted to know why our main thoroughfare cannot be wet down twice a week?

In the 4 Aug. 1870 paper - Watering the streets.--A paper has been circulated among our merchants for signatures to a subscription fund of $.50 a week to be expended upon the necessary apparatus for watering the main thoroughfare of our village during the "dusty term."

In June 1871 - The new water cart is of domestic manufacture, but seems to be doing its work very well. Mr. Wm. Gleason, who has charge, is faithful in his labors to keep the dust under subjection, and has so far succeeded.

Back in these years the people themselves, not the town government, gave money for improvements. Watering the streets was done by private donation if a person wanted a side-walk in front of their business or house they paid for it to be done. Trees along the streets were planted by private parties also. Davis Park was accomplished all through private donations. Lamps were put up by individuals.

1 Aug. 1872 The Active Base Ball Club was organized in town.

5 Oct. 1881 About a dozen of the French young men of the West side have hired the room in Music hall block, formerly the armory of Co. H, for a gymnasium.

Gypsies passed through the town at different times over the years from 1879 thru 1891 that I have found in the paper. In the 12 Aug. 1885 paper: &nbsplGypsies were in town last week. See that your doors are locked.

Nov. 1881 the first telephone was installed in Killingly.

Feb. 1884 The village barber attempted a few days since to “shampoo” a young lady’s head upon which was a luxuriant growth of hair, of which she has reason to be proud. The tonsorial artist seems to have become bewildered in working over those fine locks and he mixed up the hair so that it could not be straightened out by a day’s hard labor. Several ladies spent almost another day in the same line of work with indifferent success, and to say that the young lady who owns those massive locks is mad, is putting it mild. As the hair is 4 ½ feet in length the poor barber thinks he ought to be pitied rather than blamed.

27 Aug. 1884 Puize & Allard, proprietors of the first-class tonsorial rooms opposite the Attawaugan hotel, have recently placed in their shop an apparatus by which customers can enjoy the luxury of a cold or hot bath, for 25 cents. This is the only public bath in the village, and we hope the enterprising proprietors will receive the patronage they deserve.

Mar. 1886 The Crystal Water Company was ready to bring an abundant supply of water into Danielsonville.

19 May 1886 The steamer “River Queen” arrived at Alexander’s Lake, Friday. It is 50 feet long, 14 wide, and draws 14 feet of water. It was five days coming from Boston to Killingly, being drawn by eight horses, it being too large for transportation by rail—and attracted much attention in the villages and towns along the route. All can now enjoy a fine sail near home without fear of sea sickness. The steamer will be launched at the grand opening of Wildwood Park (Alexander's Lake).

4 Aug. 1886 The Elegant New Steam Yacht “Ethel” at Alexander’s Lake! This steamer is now running under the experienced engineer Capt. C. F. Cobb. It has a government steel boiler, and is 42 feet 6 inches long, 10 feet wide. It is one of the largest and staunchest boats on fresh water in CT, and can be chartered by picnic, church or private parties. Fare to Wildwood Park 10c A 5 mile trip around the lake 20c Children under 12 half fare.

22 June 1887 Traveling musicians—a harpist and violinist—discoursed music on the streets Friday evening.

1890 electricity was coming in, but only in Danielsonville to start.

WCT 25 Mar. 1896 - Charles Burton, who worked in the machine shop of the Quinebaug Mill, lost his life when he tried to save a drowning boy, Frank Barbeau, 12 years old, in the Quinebaug river. At his funeral in the Baptist church in Danielson, there was a large delegation of French people and the father of the Barbeau boy and several of his brothers.

There is a monument in the Old Westfield Cemetery in Danielson erected in 1928 by the Quinebaug Co. "to the memory of their employees who have died, whose names are unknown."

Killingly had a few firsts: In 1809 Mary (Dixon) Kies of South Killingly was the first woman to receive a patent for weaving silk with straw for making bonnets.

The first woman dentist, Dr. Emmeline (Roberts) Jones in 1864. Her husband Daniel Jones was a dentist and he taught his wife. After he died she carried on.


Putnam, Windham County, Connecticut History

The township of Putnam, incorporated in 1855, was made up from parts of Thompson, Killingly and Pomfret. The Quinebaug river, with its great falls in the heart of the village, is its most distinctive physical feature, its main source of life and business prosperity. Manufacturing enterprise, aided by railroads, built up a flourishing village. This village demanded expansion and the liberty to manage its own affairs, and after a desperate struggle obtained town privileges, taking in as much surrounding territory as was needful to give it corporate standing, and by running its south boundary line obliquely, cutting off barren land eastward. This funnel-like conformation of the projected town excited much ridicule during the contest, and it is said that its pictorial presentation before the legislature had much influence in procuring the rejection of the early petitions. But while the manufacturing interests of the town are strongly dominant, Putnam is by no means deficient in agricultural resources. With improved culture and immediate market, farming has made great advances. Dairying and market gardening are remunerative industries. There are many good farms in the vicinity of the valley and in the former South Neighborhood. The Assawaga or Five Mile river in the east of the town furnishes a number of mill privileges. The recent discovery and utilizing of the Aspinock Mineral Spring at Putnam Heights is likely to prove of much benefit to this section.

Though Putnam is one of the youngest towns in Windham county, and is pre-eminently a growth of modern civilization, its roots reach far backward. The High Falls were noted far back in aboriginal days. The surrounding valley was a favorite resort of the red man long before Lieutenant John Sabin crossed the Woodstock line into the wilderness of Connecticut. An Indian trail ran southeast from the falls toward Rhode Island before Peter Aspinwall cut his way through the woods to make a path to Providence. The ” Joseph Cady farm,” east of Putnam village (now owned’ by Mr. Eli Davis), was noted for producing a remarkable variety and quantity of medicinal herbs and roots, much used by the ” medicine men ” of the Indians. It is traditionally reported that Indians came from a great distance to gather these herbs, and that in consequence this locality was made a sacred haven, where no bloodshed was lawful, and tribal foes might meet in safety. The Falls were noted for their remarkable facilities for fishing, especially when shad and salmon were trying to ascend them.

The first known settler within the limits of the present Putnam was Richard Evans of Rehoboth, who purchased for twenty pounds a grant of wild land laid out to Reverend James Pierpont, of New Haven, and is described in 1693, ” as resident of said granted premises.” The farm was further described as bounded by wilderness and about three miles from Woodstock. Very little can be learned of this first settler east of the Quinebaug, except the fact that he occupied the farm now owned by Mr. William Holland, and that in about twenty years he and his son Richard were in possession of ” two tenement of houses, barns, orchards, tanning pits and fulling mill,” all testifying strongly to their thrift and industry.

Lieutenant Peter Aspinwall, of Woodstock, was apparently second on the field, and the first resident within the bounds of the present Putnam village. Sent by Woodstock, in 1691, ” to make a way unto the cedar swamp, on the other side of the Quinebaug, for a road to Providence,” during the progress of the work he removed his residence to the valley, but not probably until the close of the Indian war of 1695-98, and his marriage to the widow of John Leavens. Lieutenant Aspinwall was a very prominent man in Woodstock, one of its original pioneers and settlers.

He was also very active in military affairs, serving as scout and ranger during the troublesome warfare. Remaining a bachelor till somewhat late in life, he was apparently unfortunate in his matrimonial venture, “the widow and her sons keeping him low,” according to the Aspinwall chronicle. These step-sons, particularly James and Joseph Leavens, were the first business men -within Putnam limits, being employed by James Corbin, trader at Woodstock, to collect tar for Boston market. It was while engaged in this service that Joseph, the younger brother, received a wound in the thumb from a rattlesnake, and only saved his life by immediate amputation. Rattlesnake hill, near Five Mile river, ” half a mile long and a hundred rods broad,” was the scene of this adventure, and was one of the early land purchases of the brothers. James Leavens also owned a mill privilege on Five Mile river, believed to be the site of Hawkins’ mills, and carried on the first saw mill east of the Quinebaug.

The Providence road cut by Peter Aspinwall wound around the base of Killingly hill to this mill, and accommodated customers. The Assawaga received its English name from the fact that the first land laid out upon it was ” supposed to be about five miles from Woodstock,” the only settlement in the section. Peter Aspinwall’s farm was south of the Providence road, bordering on the Quinebaug. Its site can be identified by the old burying ground, its north or northeast extremity, which he gave to the town of Killingly.

The first settlers north of the Providence road were the inevitable ” three brothers ” of all New England settlements-Nicholas, Daniel and Joseph Cady, from Groton, Mass., soon after 1700. Nicholas settled first north of Killingly hill, but removed to a fine farm on Whetstone brook. His brother Joseph purchased the wilderness land held in such repute by the Indians, a mile east of the Quinebaug. He was a man of great strength and prowess, much respected by the Indians, able it was said to beat their strongest warriors in wrestling. A bunch of the sacred herbs, suspended over his cabin door, served as an amulet against assault or surprise. As soon as circumstances warranted Captain Cady erected the large house still standing in tolerable preservation, and owned by Mr. Eli Davis. It was considered an old house in 1774, when after the demise of the second Joseph Cady it was sold to Lieutenant-Governor Sessions, of Rhode Island. Daniel Cady’s homestead was north of Joseph’s, and after a few years passed into the hands of William Larned, who built a large house near the angle of the roads, whose frame forms part of the present residence of Mr. William Plummer. These two old houses merit commemoration as the oldest now standing within the limits of Putnam village, and connected with its early settlement.

One of the original owners of Killingly hill was John Allen, of Marlborough, Mass., a man of means with sons to settle in life. Among his purchases was a very valuable interval, comprising 160 acres upon the Quinebaug, “near a pair of falls, fifty rods above the mouth of Mill river, extending up stream to a crook of the river, near the mouth of a small brook running into the river ” (east side). All the above settlers purchased their land before Killingly was made a town, and called themselves in their several land deeds, inhabitants of Aspinock, near the Quinebaug. This picturesque name seems to have been applied to the valley east of the river from the Cady settlements to Lake Mashapaug, but was laid aside after Killingly was organized in 1708. Its derivation and signification are still doubtful.

West side the Quinebaug the first settler was Captain John Sabin. Although his fine old mansion was just outside the line dividing Putnam from Pomfret, yet his ownership of the land and intimate connection with the first settlement of the Quinebaug gives him a prominent place among Putnam notables. His settlement even preceded that of Richard Evans, dating back to 1691, and his services during the subsequent Indian wars, by maintaining fortifications upon the frontier and restraining and ” subsisting ” the Indians, were publicly recognized by Massachusetts and Connecticut governments. He was made lieutenant of Woodstock’s first military company, captain of Pomfret’s first company and sergeant-major of Windham county’s first troop of horse. He was also Pomfret’s first representative to general court and one of the most prominent and respected citizens of Windham county. Owning much land in the valley, many building sites passed to his sons, furnishing three or four ” old Sabin Houses ” within the limits of Putnam. His own historic mansion, demolished with great labor and difficulty by Mr. William I. Bartholomew in 1835, was just south of Woodstock line. This homestead descended to his son Noah. His son John adopted the medical profession and settled in Franklin, Conn. His son, Lieutenant Hezekiah Sabin, was the first resident proprietor of Thompson hill. His daughter Judith married Joseph Leavens, of Killingly, receiving for her marriage portion a beautiful farm upon Lake Mashapaug.

Captain John Sabin is most intimately connected with Putnam as the builder of the first bridge over the Quinebaug below the High Falls, in 1722. For more than twenty years Peter Aspinwall had besought the assembly for liberty to build a bridge at this point, showing that the want of such convenience had been a grievous burden and affliction to travelers and himself, the river being exceedingly high and swift and not always fordable. Leading citizens of Pomfret reiterated the complaint, that the Quinebaug was at some seasons impassable, and that persons had endangered their lives in trying to pass, but the assembly turned a deaf ear to all petitions for relief. Captain Sabin, with his usual energy, threw himself into the breach, and with his sons’ aid built a good, substantial bridge, costing £120, and then called upon the government for reimbursement. The committee sent to inspect reported the bridge built in suitable place, out of danger of being carried away by floods or ice, the height of bridge being above any flood yet known by any men living there thought it would be very serviceable to a great part of the government in traveling to Boston, being at least ten miles the nearest way according to their judgment. Three hundred acres of land on the east side of the Connecticut river were accordingly granted, on condition of keeping the bridge in repair ” fourteen years next coming.”

The second settler within the present limits of Putnam village was Jonathan Eaton, of Dedham, who in 1703 bought land on both sides of the Quinebaug, at what was called the Upper Falls, now improved by the Putnam Manufacturing Company. His home was on the west side of the river, in what was then known as ” a Peculiar,” viz., a strip of land unassigned to any town. Even Killingly, which exercised rights in the territory of Thompson long before it was legally assigned to her, levied no taxes west side the river. Being thus cut off from civil relations, we can learn little of this early settler excepting the fact that, though not compelled bylaw, he carried his numerous children to be duly baptized in Woodstock meeting house, and that he was elected deacon of the church in Thompson parish. With two traveled roads near his dwelling, he probably exercised the privilege of entertaining travelers. Above the Upper Falls the Quinebaug was easily forded in low water, and an Indian trail trodden out in time to a bridle path connected his establishment with the Cady settlement. The mill privilege owned by Deacon Eaton was improved by his sons, at a much later date.

The third family within the bounds of Putnam village was probably that of Samuel Perrin, who, with Peter Aspinwall and Benjamin Griggs, secured a deed of land from Major James Fitch in 1703, both sides the Quinebaug, below its junction with Mill brook. According to tradition, this land was purchased of the Indians, and it seems improbable that so valuable a tract should have been sold at so low a figure by a veteran land jobber unless there had been a prior claim upon it. Aspinwall, as we, have seen, took the land east of the river Griggs sold his share to Samuel Paine. The Perrin farm was retained in the family for several generations. How soon Samuel Perrin took possession of this purchase is not apparent, as he still retained his Woodstock residence, but soon after 1714 he built the well known ” old Perrin House,” so familiar to older residents of this section. It was probably first cultivated by his younger brother David, who died early, unmarried, and was made over to his son, Ensign Samuel Perrin, after his marriage to Dorothy Morris in 1724.

During this period many others had gathered in the South Neighborhood and eastward on the Assawaga. Tames Leavens’ saw mill passed into the hands of Isaac and John Cutler, of Lexington, Mass. The former had many sons settling in that vicinity, building gambrel roofed houses, one of which still stands, “the old Cutler House,” near the Rhode Island line. John Cutler died early, leaving numerous children. Part of his original farm was lost by a re-settlement of the above line, and his son Hezekiah removed to the vicinity of Killingly hill. The first meeting house in Killingly was built a little south of this hill, near the Providence road, in 1715, and encouraged settlement in that vicinity. The first minister, Reverend John Fisk, had his residence west of the hill.

Putnam’s first settler, Richard Evans, had now removed, and his home farm was occupied by Simon Bryant, of Braintree, who purchased house, barn, orchard, tanning pits, etc., in 1712. His oldest daughter, Hannah, married William Larned in 1715, and their son Simon succeeded to the Evans farm, the first land laid out east of the Quinebaug in this section, now owned by Mr. W. R. Holland. Thomas Whitmore settled north of Simon Bryant at an early date, on the farm now improved by Mr. G. W. Whittlesy. George Blanchard occupied land southward now held by 111r. William Converse. Michael Felshaw secured the farm still southward, reaching to the brow of Killingly hill. The farm now improved by the family of the late J. O. Fox was first owned by James Wilson. Near him was the residence of Jonathan Hughes, whose son Edmond set out the ” Great Elm,” so famous in revolutionary annals. John Johnson’s homestead was upon the site of the present residence of Mr. James Arnold. Samuel Lee purchased the northern part of what is now known as Parks hill, and built the house afterward occupied by Deacon Lusher Gay and his descendants. He died before 1730, at which date his widow, Mary Lee, was licensed to keep a house of public entertainment.

A granddaughter of Captain Joseph Cady, who afterward married Deacon Gay, delighted in old age to tell of ” a puppet show ” which she attended at this public house when she was six years old, viz., in 1731. There were many little girls and boys growing up in the vicinity at. that date. Deacon Eaton had eight or nine, Simon Bryant had seven daughters, William Larned seven sons, Joseph Leavens had eight daughters and three sons, the Cady and Lee children could hardly be numbered, and it is pleasant to know that they had this evening’s entertainment. ‘Up to this date there is no evidence that they even had the privilege of attending school, but were probably taught at home by fathers and mothers. The boys of the neighborhood enjoyed special privileges in fishing, the Quinebaug being famous for shad, salmon and lamprey eels. The latter were caught in ingeniously constructed weirs or ” eel-pots ” suckers were speared by torchlight. The Indians were very skillful fishermen, and initiated their favorites into some of the mysteries of their art. An Indian girl ” was included in the inventory of Captain John Sabin’s possessions. An Indian family occupied a wigwam beside a huge boulder near the site of the Davis ice house, self-selected tributaries to Captain Cady, who had rescued them from some great peril. Both he and Captain Sabin were greatly respected by their Indian neighbors. An old squaw thus expressed her emotion, upon the return of the former from military service: ” 0 Massa Cady, I glad to see you! I so glad if I had a whole pint of rum I drink it all down myself.” Excessive indulgence in the use of cider, and any other liquor they could lay hands on, accelerated the dying out of these natives. Old Quaco, the last of his race, was tenderly cared for down to his last hours by the Perrin family.

In 1730 the privilege of the Great Falls was utilized by David Howe of Mendon, clothier, who purchased the point of land between the Quinebaug and Mill rivers, beginning forty rods above the falls, from Captain John Sabin and his son Noah. A dwelling house, grist mill, malt house and dye house were soon set up and in motion, accommodating his own neighborhood and adjacent parts of Pomfret and Killingly. Thompson parish had now been incorporated, taking in all the east side residents north of the falls. Killingly hill was gaining new inhabitants. Increasing development called for more roads and better traveling facilities.


Service history [ edit | تحرير المصدر]

Quinnebaug departed Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 17 October 1878 for fitting out at Norfolk, Virginia. She got underway in January 1879 and reached Gibraltar on 2 February to begin a decade of service on the European Station, interrupted only by a brief visit home in the summer of 1881. During this service she operated for the most part in the Mediterranean, steaming from the straits to the Levant and visiting numerous ports along both the European and African coasts of that ancient sea and center of culture. She also usually made an annual cruise along the Atlantic Coast of Europe visiting ports in Spain, Portugal, France, England, Denmark and Germany. Three of her crew received the Medal of Honor for rescuing shipmates from drowning during this period: Landsman Patrick J. Kyle at Mahón, Minorca, on 13 March 1879, and Seaman Apprentice Second Class August Chandron and Boatswain's Mate Hugh Miller at Alexandria, Egypt, on 21 November 1885. ΐ]

Departing Gibraltar on 9 May 1889, Quinnebaug returned to the New York Navy Yard on 17 June 1889. She decommissioned there on 3 July, was struck from the Navy List on 21 November 1889, and was sold on 25 March 1891.


Connecticut Indian Tribes

Mahican Indians. The northwestern corner of Litchfield County was occupied by the Wawyachtonoc, a tribe of the Mahican Confederacy of the upper Hudson, though their main seats were in Columbia and Dutchess Counties, N. Y. (See New York.)

Mohegan Indians. The name means “wolf.” They are not to be confused with the Mahican. Also called:

  • River Indians.
  • Seaside People.
  • Unkus [Uncas] Indians, from the name of their chief.
  • Upland Indians.

Mohegan Connections. The Mohegan belonged to the Algonquian linguistic stock and spoke a y-dialect closely related to Pequot.

Mohegan Location. The Mohegan originally occupied most of the upper valley of the Thames and its branches. Later they claimed authority over some of the Nipmuc and the Connecticut River tribes, and in the old Pequot territory. (See also New York.)

  • Ashowat, between Amston and Federal.
  • Catantaquck, near the head of Pachaug River.
  • Checapscaddock, southeast of the mouth of Shetucket River in the town of
  • Preston.
  • Kitemaug, on the west wide of Thames River between Uncasville and Massapeag.
  • Mamaquaog, on Natchaug River northeast of Willimantic.
  • Mashantackack, near Palmertown, town of Montville.
  • Massapeag, at the place now so-called’ on the west side of Thames River. Mohegan, at the present town of Mohegan on the west side of Thames River.
  • Moosup, at the present Moosup in the town of Plainfield.
  • Nawhesetuck, on Fenton River north of Willimantic.
  • Pachaug, at the present Pachaug in the town of Griswold.
  • Paugwonk, near Gardiner Lake in the town of Salem.
  • Pautexet, near the present Jewett City in the town of Griswold.
  • Pigscomsuck, on the right bank of Quinebaug River near the present line between
  • New London and Windham Counties.
  • Poquechanneeg, near Lebanon.
  • Poquetanock, near Trading Cove, town of Preston.
  • Shantuck, on the west side of Thames River just north of Mohegan.
  • Showtucket or Shetucket, near Lisbon in the fork of the Shetucket and Quinebaug Rivers.
  • Wauregan, on the east side of Quinebaug River in the town of Plainfield.
  • Willimantic, on the site of the present city of Willimantic.
  • Yantic, at the present Yantic on Yantic River.

Mohegan History. The Mohegan were probably a branch of the Mahican. Originally under Sassacus, chief of the Pequot, they afterward became independent and upon the destruction of the Pequot in 1637, Uncas, the Mohegan chief, became ruler also of the remaining Pequot and set up pretensions to territory north and west beyond his original borders. At the end of King Philip’s War, the Mohegan were the only important tribe remaining in southern New England, but as the White settlements advanced they were reduced progressively both in territory and in numbers. Many joined the Scaticook, and in 1788 a still larger body united with the Brotherton in New York, where they formed the largest single element in the new settlement. The rest continued in their old town at Mohegan, where a remnant of mixed bloods still survives.

Mohegan Population. The number of Mohegan were estimated by Mooney (1928) at 2,200 in 1600 in 1643, including the remnant of the Pequot and perhaps other tribes, at between 2,000 and 2,500. In 1705 they numbered 750 in 1774, 206 were reported in 1804, 84 in 1809, 69 in 1825, 300 in 1832, about 350 in 1910, 22.

Connection in which the Mohegan Indians have become noted. The Mohegan became celebrated on account of the services rendered the Whites by Uncas. Today their name is perpetuated in Mohegan, on Thames River, and the name of their chief in Uncasville on the same stream. There a post village of this name in McDowell County, W. Va., and Mohegan Lake in Westchester County, N. Y., but this is named after the Mahican.

Western Niantic Indians. Regarding the name, see Niantic, Eastern, under Rhode Island.

Western Niantic Connections. These were the same as for the Eastern Niantic. (See Rhode Island.)

Western Niantic موقع. On the seacoast from Niantic Bay to Connecticut River.

  • Niantic or Nehantucket, near the present town of Niantic.
  • There was another near Old Lyme.

Western Niantic تاريخ. Originally the Western Niantic are thought to have constituted one tribe with the Eastern Niantic and to have been cut apart from them by the Pequot. They were nearly destroyed in the Pequot war and at its close (1637) were placed under the control of the Mohegan. About 1788 many joined the Brotherton Indians. A small village of Niantic was reported as existing near Danbury in 1809, but this perhaps contained remnants of the tribes of western Connecticut, although Speck (1928) found several Indians of mixed Niantic-Mohegan descent living with the Mohegan remnant, descendants of a pure-blood Niantic woman from the mouth of Niantic River.

Western Niantic تعداد السكان. The Western Niantic population was estimated by Mooney (1928) at 600 in 1600 there were about 100 in 1638 85 in 1761.

Connection in which the Western Niantic Indians have become noted. The name of the Western Niantic is perpetuated in Niantic village, Niantic River, and Niantic Bay, in New London County. Post villages in Macon County, Ill., and Montgomery County, Pa., bear the name Niantic.

Nipmuc Indians. Some bands of this tribe extended into the northeastern part of the State. (See Massachusetts.)

Pequot Indians. The name means, according to Trumbull (1818), “destroyers.” Also called:

Pequot Connections. The Pequot belonged to the Algonquian linguistic stock, and spoke a y-dialect closely related to Mohegan.

Pequot Location. The Pequot occupied the coast of New London County from Niantic River nearly to the Rhode Island State line. Until driven out by the Narraganset, they extended into Rhode Island as far as Wecapaug River. (See also Rhode Island.)

  • Asupsuck, in the interior of the town of Stonington.
  • Aukumbumsk or Awcumbuck, in the center of the Pequot country near Gales Ferry.
  • Aushpook, at Stonington.
  • Cosattuck, probably near Stonington. Cuppanaugunnit, probably in New London County.
  • Mangunckakuck, probably on Thames River below Mohegan.
  • Maushantuxet, at Ledyard.
  • Mystic, near West Mystic on the west side of Mystic River.
  • Monhunganuck, near Beach Pond in the town of Voluntown.
  • Nameaug, near New London.
  • Noank, at the present place of that name.
  • Oneco, at the place of that name in the town of Sterling.
  • Paupattokshick, on the lower course of Thames River.
  • Pawcatuck, probably on the river of the same name, Washington County, R. I. Pequotauk, near New London.
  • Poquonock, inland from Poquonock Bridge.
  • Sauquonckackock, on the west side of Thames River below Mohegan.
  • Shenecosset, near Midway in the town of Groton.
  • Tatuppequauog, on the Thames River below Mohegan.
  • Weinshauks, Dear Groton.
  • Wequetequock, on the east side of the river of the same name.

Pequot History. The Pequot and the Mohegan are supposed to have been invaders from the direction of Hudson River. At the period of first White contact, the Pequot were warlike and greatly dreaded by their neighbors. They and the Mohegan were jointly ruled by Sassacus until the revolt of Uncas, the Mohegan chief. (See Mohegan.) About 1635 the Narraganset drove them from a corner of the present Rhode Island which they had previously held, and 2 years later the murder of a trader who had treated some Indians harshly involved the Pequot in war with the Whites. At that time their chief controlled 26 subordinate chiefs, claimed authority over all Connecticut east of Connecticut River, and on the coast as far west as New Haven or Guilford, as well as all of Long Island except the extreme western end. Through the influence of Roger Williams, the English secured the assistance or neutrality of the surrounding tribes. Next they surprised and destroyed the principal Pequot fort near Mystic River along with 600 Indians of all ages and both sexes, and this disaster crippled the tribe so much that, after a few desperate attempts at further resistance, they determined to separate into small parties and abandon the country (1637). Sassacus and a considerable body of followers were intercepted near Fairfield while trying to escape to the Mohawk and almost all were killed or captured. Those who surrendered were divided among the Mohegan, Narraganset, and Niantic, and their territory passed under the authority of Uncas. Their Indian overlords treated them so harshly, however, that they were taken out of their hands by the colonists in 1655 and settled in two villages near Mystic River, where some of their descendants still live. Numbers removed to other places Long Island, New Haven, the Nipmuc country, and elsewhere while many were kept as slaves among the English in New England or sent to the West Indies.

Pequot Population. The Pequot population was estimated by Mooney (1928) at 2,200 in 1600 in 1637, immediately after the Pequot war, there were said to be 1,950, but the figure is probably too high. In 1674 the Pequot in their old territory numbered about 1,500 in 1762, 140. In 1832 there were said to be about 40 mixed-bloods, but the census of 1910 gave 66, of whom 49 were in Connecticut and 17 in Massachusetts.

Connection in which the Pequot Indians have become noted. The Pequot are remembered principally on account of the bitter and, to them, disastrous war related above. The name is borne by a post village in Crow Wing County, Minn.

Wappinger Indians. The valley of Connecticut River was the home of a number of bands which might be called Mattabesec after the name of the most important of them, and this in turn was a part of the Wappinger. (See New York.)


Quinnebaug I - History

Detail for a Map exhibiting the route of the Norwich & Worcester rail-road surveyed by James P. Kirkwood, James Laurie (Civil Engineers). كاليفورنيا. 1835 - Connecticut Historical Society and Connecticut History Illustrated

An ad for the Norwich and Worcester Rail-Road for contractors from the September 17, 1836, edition of the Hartford Times

On August 28, 1837, the directors of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad celebrated the completion of the Taft Tunnel in Lisbon. The first railroad tunnel in Connecticut and among the earliest tunnels built in America it remains one of the oldest railroad tunnels still in active use. Dr. Nott, of Franklin, delivered the prayer at the dedication and Asa Child, Esq., general agent of the company, delivered the address to the assembled crowd.

At this time, Railroad transportation was relatively new to Connecticut, which chartered its first railroads in 1832. Built to connect the waters of Long Island Sound with the manufacturing heart of Massachusetts, the Norwich to Worcester line covered the route in the shortest possible distance. In a study conducted by Roger Huntington prior to its construction, Huntington estimated that businesses transported 15,000 tons of goods along this route annually (excluding the towns of Norwich and Worcester). The goods included paper and iron as well as products from the 27 woolen and 75 cotton mills along the route.

James Laurie, co-founder of the American Society of Civil Engineers and chief engineer for the railroad, oversaw the project. Due to the drastic change in elevation near Quinnebaug Falls it became necessary to tunnel through the hill. Builders initially found much of the rock to be unstable and a passage from the summit to the foundation had to be opened for 75 feet before the men could even begin to tunnel through solid rock. The result was a slightly curved, narrow tunnel measuring 300 feet long by 23 feet wide and 18 feet high. The tunnel is currently part of the Providence and Worcester Railroad.

Taftville Tunnel. Photograph by an unknown photographer, ca. 1900 – Connecticut Historical Society


Leicester, Massachusetts, USA Genealogy

Ancestors Who Were Born or Died in Leicester, Massachusetts, USA

We currently have information about ancestors who were born or died in Leicester.

Ancestors Who Were Married in Leicester, Massachusetts, USA

We currently have information about ancestors who were married in Leicester.

Not the place you are looking for? Try again!

USS Quinnebaug (SP-1687)

الثالث يو اس اس Quinnebaug was the Old Dominion steamship جيفرسون temporarily converted for planting the World War I North Sea Mine Barrage. John Roach & Sons launched جيفرسون at Chester, Pennsylvania on 14 October 1898. جيفرسون steamed between Norfolk, Virginia and New York City until The United States Shipping Board took control of the ship from Old Dominion Steamship Company in 1917. She was fitted out for United States Navy service at Robins' Dry Dock and Repair Company at Brooklyn, New York. The minelaying conversion enabled her to carry mines on two decks, and included four Otis elevators individually capable of transferring two mines every 20 seconds from the storage deck to the launching deck. يو اس اس Quinnebaug was commissioned on 23 March 1918 with Commander D. Pratt Mannix, USN, in command. While operating as part of Mine Squadron 1 out of Inverness, Scotland, from 14 July until the close of the war on 11 November 1918, Quinnebaug: Ώ]

  • planted 600 mines during the 3rd minelaying excursion on 14 July,
  • planted 600 mines during the 4th minelaying excursion on 29 July,
  • planted 610 mines during the 6th minelaying excursion on 18 August,
  • planted 590 mines during the 7th minelaying excursion on 26 August,
  • planted 600 mines during the 8th minelaying excursion on 7 September,
  • planted 600 mines during the 9th minelaying excursion on 20 September,
  • planted 610 mines during the 10th minelaying excursion on 27 September,
  • planted 610 mines during the 11th minelaying excursion on 4 October,
  • planted 615 mines during the 12th minelaying excursion on 13 October, and
  • planted 610 mines during the final 13th minelaying excursion on 24 October.

Quinnebaug then returned to the United States for decommissioning and return to Old Dominion Steamship Company in 1919.